I have been truly fascinated by the amount of visitors that I get because of the simple XLS/XLSX to CSV converter script that I made a while back (original post). For that reason I have created an HTML application (HTA) which offers the same functionality and then some:
DOWNLOAD THIS APP
How this Differs from the Script
- There is an easy to use interface.
- You can customize how the resulting files are named.
- You can filter which sheets will be exported as CSVs using simple text matches and/or regular expressions.
- You will see the results of the conversion process in one place after the process is finished.
- Download it from here.
- Unzip the .HTA file.
- Double-click on the .HTA file.
- Click the Browse for Folder button and browse for the folder that contains the XLS and/or XLSX files whose worksheets should be exported as CSVs.
- Modify the CSV Naming Schema as you like (hints are given in the application).
- If you would like to remove the linefeed characters from all cells, check the appropriate checkbox.
- Click the Start Conversion button and wait for the results to appear.
- 1.0 – The first version.
- Fixed the error thrown when specifying a normal string as a “Sheet Filter”.
- Fixed the copyright symbol in the “About” message box.
- Added the ability to specify the delimiter.
Plans for Improvement
As of right now this application is very simple, but I do hope to beef it up a little as time goes on. Let me know if you have any comments, questions, suggestions, or issues with this new application. Most of all, have fun!!!